lördag, februari 13, 2016

Melodifestivalen Deltävling 2

Not familiar with the Swedish "Melodifestivalen"?  It is their selection process for the Eurovision Song Contest.  Like the Swedish winter, even though there may be moments you enjoy, it is hard to get through, and seemingly endless.  But Swedes endure it because, like the winter, when it is over, it is time for Spring.

This is the Radio Free Järbo Guide to Melodifestivalen for Americans, Other Non-Nordics, and  Curious (Yellow and Blue) Swedes.

Where the songs are available online, we have linked them in the song title below, at least for as long as SVT keeps the links live.  

I'm back!  Did you miss me?

Overall, we were not all that pleased with the quality of the contributions in the second round.  Most songs seemed very similar, and hard to tell one from the other.  Here again, a number of very good singers are given a number of very bad songs.   It is a good thing the show comes in the middle of the afternoon here, because I would have slept through if it were in the evening.  Personally, the New York Jury thought Charlotte Perrilli should represent Sweden at Eurovision (again) with the Schlagerdivan song.  It was very funny, very well done, and the highlight of the evening. 

1.  David Lindgren
"We Are Your Tomorrow"
If my tomorrow is a such a mediocre song, I may stay in bed. (Of course, if he is there, too, all the more reason.)  I liked his hair, though.
RFJ Placement:  Second chance
Actual Placement:  To the Final

2.  Victor och Natten
"100%"
He gave 100% for sure in his performance, but the song is worth less than 50.  (Han påminner mig lite grann om Linus Svenning fast utan alla metal bitar.) 
RFJ Placement:  Send him home.
Actual Placement:  Sent him home.

3.  Molly Petterson Hammar
"Hunger"
This anemic song made me lose my appetite for listening.  And I'm mad.  She has a great voice and wonderful stage presence. Won't someone please write her a decent song? Please!  With the right song she could win the whole deal and win Eurovision in the bargain.
(NB: Jag säger det på allvar, fast att hon är nästan släkt: min mansandrakusinspojkvänskompisdottir.)
RFJ Placement:  Second Chance.
Actual Placement:  Second Chance.

4.  Isa
"I Will Wait"
I am still waiting for a decent song for her as well.  I guess I'm too impatient to wait much longer.  Next!
RFJ Placement: Send her home.
Actual Placement:  Second Chance.

5.  Krista Siegfrids
"Faller"
Help!  Krista Siegfrids has fallen and she can't get up!  She won everyone's hearts a couple of years ago as Finland's entry to Eurovision with the delightfully fun song "Marry Me."  With this boring song (which means "Falling" in English), I'm ready to file divorce papers.
 RFJ Placement:  Second Chance.
Actual Placement:  Sent her home.

6.  Patrik, Tommy, and Uno
"Hål mitt hjärta hårt"
Finally!  Performers who are mature!  Not teenagers! I wanted to like the song, I really did.  I really tried!  But alas, I couldn't, even though it was one of the better written songs of the night.
RFJ Placement:  To the final (there were no other options).
Actual Placement:  Sent him home.

7.  Wiktoria
"Save Me"
This was the only song of the night that seemed not be from that same factory in Södertälje that  turned out all the other songs.  The CT scan graphics were a little off putting at times.  And WTF with the WWF belt?  Is she a World Wrestling Federation champion, too?
RFJ Placement:  To the final.
Actual Placement:  To the final.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar